Saturday, 7 August 2010

Twitter Tamagotchis

Apologies for my absence. I have been making arrangements for moving to Brighton (the host of Pride this weekend) by job-hunting, house-hunting, extreme eBaying and being distracted by Sam & Max. Sam & Max: The Devil’s Playhouse is a 3D point and click adventure game featuring a Fox Mulder look-a-like and his rabbity sidekick, but please don’t let any of that put you off. I have now completed around half the ‘episodes’ and am charmed by the witty dialogue and novel plot twists, some of which, for example, require you to complete future scenes to understand the present. The puzzle-solving, however, is quite simplistic (although that could be put down to my being 10 years older than when I last indulged in the S&M (hur) franchise) and seems to serve merely as a springboard for cutscenes. I’m guessing this is representative of the changing needs of gamers – people switch on to switch off, not to feel as though they’re back at work again.

Telltale Games has not been my only provider of pixelated furry companionship this week. I have befriended a tweeting goose. The insurgence of similar Twitter profiles hasn’t escaped my attention either – I_am_a_hamster, I_am_a_fish, I_am_a_pigeon to name a few. There is even I_was_a_goose, the ghostly variation of my feathered friend. Less reliable than big_ben_clock they may be, these ‘Twitter Tamagotchis’ as I have dubbed them, provide a comforting interruption of chirrups, scratchings and honkings to the stream of self-publicising celebs and ladies who for some reason want to tell you their bra doesn’t fit and oops, they forgot to put knickers on this morning.

Honk