Wednesday, 4 January 2017

Books 2016

When magazines do them, it's an end-of-year roundup. When I do it, it's 'OCD'.

Here's a list of everything I read in 2016.

  1. Moab is My Washpot - Stephen Fry
  2. The Rough Guide to Iceland - Rough Guides
  3. Before a trip with a friend. The many photos I took can be seen here.

  4. Awopbopaloobop Alopbamboom - Nik Cohn
  5. Git wrote it when he was 22.

  6. The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test - Tom Wolfe
  7. British as a Second Language - David Bennun
  8. Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
  9. Nausea - Jean-Paul Sartre
  10. Pretty Honest - Sali Hughes
  11. (Featuring a Mirror Factory-appropriate cover)

  12. Words and Music: A History of Pop in the Shape of a City - Paul Morley
  13. We All Looked Up - Tommy Wallach
  14. Young Hearts Run Free: The Real Story of the 1970s - Dave Haslam
  15. Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh
  16. The name Evelyn Waugh always reminds me of a friend asking the librarian of our school's library for recommendations. After suggesting Waugh, my friend replied: "I don't really like books about war."

  17. Horrorstör - Grady Hendrix
  18. "...the only book you'll ever need about a haunted Scandinavian furniture superstore."

  19. Lighter than my Shadow - Katie Green
  20. The Night Manager - John le Carré
  21. Unspeakable Things - Laurie Penny
  22. They F*** You Up - Oliver James
  23. The Crying of Lot 49 - Thomas Pynchon.
  24. Only book on this list I gave up on, I'm afraid.

  25. Secrets of East Sussex - Sandy Hernu
  26. Bizarre Brighton - Christopher Horlock
  27. A Guide to the Buildings of Brighton - students and staff of the School of Architecture and Interior Design, Brighton Polytechnic
  28. Four Children and It - Jacqueline Wilson
  29. Candy Floss - Jacqueline Wilson
  30. Mr Stink - David Walliams
  31. The above three, checked out from Hove library's children's section, were inhaled over a period when I was very ill with food poisoning. I was about three weeks into a new job I hated. I decided if having food poisoning and reading books was preferable to my job, I'd better give it up. So I quit. I'm now currently happier and healthier temping for numerous departments. I enjoy the flexibility and variety. I also enjoy lying around reading books all day (minus the food poisoning).

  32. Beloved - Toni Morrison
  33. Understanding Human Nature - Alfred Adler
  34. Live at the Brixton Academy - Simon Parkes
  35. Lost in Music: A Pop Odyssey - Giles Smith
  36. Just Kids - Patti Smith
  37. Atonement - Ian McEwan
  38. Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys - Viv Albertine
  39. As good as everyone said it was.

  40. The Sleeper and the Spindle - Neil Gaiman
  41. Naming Monsters - Hannah Eaton
  42. The Humans - Matt Haig
  43. Guide to Life - Steven Appleby
  44. Beautiful You - Chuck Palahniuk
  45. Emergency Kit: Poems for Strange Times - Matthew Sweeney
  46. Confessions of a Crap Artist - Philip K. Dick
  47. Plays - Harold Pinter
  48. Strangeland - Tracey Emin
  49. Rocks Stars Stole My Life - Mark Ellen
  50. If You're Reading This I'm Already Dead - Andrew Nicoll
  51. Hansel & Gretel - Neil Gaiman
  52. Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe
  53. Overcoming Worry & Anxiety - Dr Jerry Kennard
  54. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Robert A. Heinlein
  55. The Tattoo Dictionary - Trent Aitken-Smith + Ashley Tyson
  56. A Book for Her - Bridget Christie
  57. Cancer Vixen: A True Story - Marisa Acocella Marchetto
  58. Dublinesque - Enrique Vila-Matas
  59. Musrum - Eric Thacker
  60. Go Ask Alice - Anonymous
  61. The Book of Kells: An Illustrated Introduction to the Manuscript in Trinity College Dublin - Bernard Meehan
  62. Ireland - Lonely Planet people
  63. Before a trip there with the guy who bought me No.38 and let me borrow No.51, and is the reason not as many books got read in the latter half of the year as in the former ;)

  64. Understanding Autism for Dummies - Linda G. Rastelli and Stephen Shore
  65. He Shot Me Down - a whole bunch of people
  66. The Dark Net: Inside the Digital Underworld - Jamie Bartlett.